Friday, April 27, 2007

Random End Of Week Notes

Alternate title "Maybe I can get these things out of my head if I post them"

Coming in to work today I was listening to the Andrew Bird cd I wrote about a couple weeks ago. There is one song that has a line in the chorus: "we'll fight, we'll fight..." I cannot listen to that without thinking he's singing "whale fight, whale fight" which is infinitely more awesome.

Continuing the sea mammal theme, this totally cracks me up:
Rescue cat. It showed up on Cheezburger (warning: do not click here unless you have hours to kill) later in the week and I felt all cool and internet-y because I saw it on Erin's site first.

I know a lot of people who have been raving about the Discovery channel's Planet Earth series. They were playing a marathon earlier in the week so I decided to watch it for a while. It was showing some sea lions frolicking in the water and having fun so I kept it on the channel and sat back on the couch. I realized too late that these sea lions were obviously doomed - a killer whale swallowed a few whole before I could reach for the remote.

About an hour later I decided to give it another try. This time they were showing migrating cranes. Pretty safe, right? No. Sure enough, some kind of predator bird starts circling around, trying to pick off the weak ones. I obviously need a G-rated version of Planet Earth if I'm ever watch it.

Speaking of cranes, I would be remiss if I didn't link to a site that tells about how scientists are trying to get whooping cranes to follow their natural migratory patterns. Each fall and spring the cranes are led by an ultra-light plane on a cross-country trip to take them to and from their winter homes. The hope is that they will eventually learn to take the trip themselves and begin to repopulate their natural habitats. I know you're saying, "that's good and all, but what's the point?" The point is that the scientists dress up in crane outfits to imprint themselves on the babies. The pictures are great. Can you imagine having that as a job? Even the aircraft pilot has to wear it while he's flying.

Anyway, have a great weekend everybody!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Ahrr!!! As a one handed pirate, who loves to dress for the occasion I must comment on crane outfits.

I am always looking for a nice accessorized replacement for the off-putting hook I usually sport. Thanks for the fashion tip, crane heads are much better conversation starters than sharp pointy hooks.