Saturday, September 1, 2012

Running

Next up on the goal list - run a race longer than 5k. I'm pretty sure that when I wrote out this goal I intended that the race be run without stopping, but I think the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh counts for this. I had wanted to do this race since I first heard about it many years ago. This past year the race was a little longer than it had been in the past - the course was 5 miles. Competitors were considered to have completed the "Challenge" if they crossed the finish line in under an hour. No problem, right? The only catch - you ran by the Krispy Kreme store at mile 2.5 and had to eat a dozen donuts. Then keep running. I was pretty happy with my result - 7 donuts and a time of 59 minutes. Jeremy walked the course with some friends of ours - he ate 8 donuts. We were supposed to travel to Davidson for a game later that afternoon but ended up spending the day on the couch in sugar comas. My goal is to eat all 12 donuts and finish in an hour next year - digestive system be damned.

I also ran the inaugural Ninja Challenge in Fuquay-Varina this summer. The running part was 5k but I feel like this race counted for more since it included (in part) monkey bars, a balance beam, running through water, using a rope to climb up a seriously slanted surface (followed by jumping into a dumpster full of muddy water - at which point I felt like I was dying), climbing a cargo net, and throwing ninja stars. It was a ton of fun, but I doubt I would do it again unless I had someone to do it with.

Next up, domestic goals...

No comments: